Saturday, March 16, 2013

Week 9: The Crinkle Quilt

Even though I've not quite finished the Pretty Patches Placemats, I'm going to begin the next project.  I'm still in stash-busting mode, and I want to also use some of the batting that's been taking up some room, but I also want to work on a quick project.  I think I've found a project that'll cover all those things.  For Week 9 I will be making The Crinkle Quilt designed by Palak of Make It Handmade.  This pattern is on the Make It Handmade website and also posted at Moda Bake Shop.

The Crinkle Quilt from Palak of Make It Handmade
Image and design © Make It Handmade


The Crinkle Quilt pattern is for a 40"x44" quilt and calls for 1 layer cake and 1 yard for the top, 1 1/2 yards for the backing, and 1/2 yard for the binding.  The quilt is made of rows of gathered fabrics alternating with rows of quilted focus fabric.  Even though the pattern does not call for it, I'm going to add batting to my quilt.  The batting I have is 45"x60" (crib-sized batting), so I will make adjustments to the pattern so that I can use the entire 45"x60".



Palak used brightly colored fabric for the ruched strips to contrast with the mostly white focus fabric of the alternating strips.  I'm going to use fabric from this beautiful cotton lawn collection called Matsuri that I bought from - guess where - Connecting Threads.  The pastel colours and delicate patterns match perfectly with the soft, almost ethereal, feel of the cotton lawn.

I don't think that I'll be using all the fabrics from the collection.  I'll probably use more of the reds since this quilt is intended for little Darcy and her favorite color is red.  There'll be a lot of leftover fabric too, since I've got fat quarters of the collection and not a layer cake, so maybe a future project will be a matching crinkle pillow.  Just perfect for a quick nap in the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment