Friday, March 22, 2013

The Crinkle Quilt, Day 7

Okay, I've cut all my 5"x10" pieces, so now it's time to stitch them together end to end!



The pattern doesn't state the seam allowance, so I just went with 1/4".  The walking foot was still on the machine from the last project, and since cotton lawn is so thin and might shift easily, I went ahead and used the walking foot to chain stitch the pieces.

Oodles and oodles of chain-stitched fabric!

Now for the fun part - ruffling!  To create the ruffles, Palak's pattern uses the tension method, but since I have a gathering foot for my sewing machine, I used that instead.  Since I hadn't worked with cotton lawn before, I did a test run.

Check out this cartoon of Bugs Bunny:


See how he's giggling (starting at 1:00) as Witch Hazel shoos him away from the pot?  That's how giddy I was when I finished ruffling one side of the swatch.  The ruffles were gorgeous!  Tee hee, hee hee hee!

Now I had to flip the swatch over and ruffle the other side.  The pattern didn't specify, and I'm not that experienced with sewing ruffles, so I didn't know if I had to straighten out the fabric before I ran it through the machine.  Just in case, I tried both ways.

Left swatch: Didn't straighten fabric before sewing
Right swatch: Straightened fabric before sewing

They both turned out fine, but the ruffles looked more uniform when I straightened out the fabric before passing it through the foot.  Either way, I was so happy with how the ruffles came out that I couldn't help but giggle again.  Tee hee hee hee hee!

I was getting so excited with all the ruffling that I tried to sew up the four strips as fast I could.  For some reason, even though the swatches turned out okay, when I ran the long strips through the machine, the machine would jam up almost every two feet.  I thought maybe the needle was too dull, so I changed it for a new one, but that didn't work.  I thought maybe the tension was creating a problem, so I played around with that, but that didn't seem to change anything either.  I did notice that if I didn't run the machine at full speed, it wouldn't jam, so I just reduced my speed, and that seemed to work.


I don't know if it's by design or what, but I noticed that when I was sewing at a slower pace, not only did it not jam, it seemed to create more ruffles.  I experimented with the speeds, and found that going just a touch below medium speed made the most ruffles.  I thought it was just my imagination, but I compared one of the first strips I ruffled, one that I went as fast I could and kept jamming, to the last one, when I was sewing slower, and the ruffles were tighter with the last one.

Tighter ruffles on the top strip, looser ruffles on the bottom

The "crinkles" are looking great, and little Darcy likes them already.  Tee hee, hee hee hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment