Thursday, March 7, 2013

Reversible Bucket Hat, Day 6

No sooner had I written about the warm, spring weather in the Bay Area do the March winds come sweeping in.  It turned out to be fortuitous, though, because as I watched tree parts tumble down the street, I frowned thinking how Darcy wouldn't be able to wear her hat in this kind of weather.  But then I realized, "Oh, yes she CAN!"  I decided to add straps to the bucket hat so it won't blow away during blustery days.

I used the 2" bias strip maker to create the straps.  I added a little bit of elastic to one end to make the straps more comfortable.

Then I attached it to the brim before sewing the second cap on.  I decided to make straps for just one side of the hat, because I was concerned that too many straps might make it bulky.  With this just one set, if she wears the side without the straps, I can just tie it around the brim.


The last step was to attach the second cap.  It took a little time because I had to blindstitch it to the brim.  Then I followed it up with a machine stitch.


It turned out really cute, and she looks adorable in it!  Hopefully the weather will change by this weekend, and then we can see how well it blocks out the sun!

No comments:

Post a Comment