Saturday, January 19, 2013

Week 1: Lap Duvet

Photo courtesy of The Purl Bee
Hooray, it's Week 1 of 52 weeks of sewing, knitting, etc!  I'm going with a supposedly quick and easy project, the Lap Duvet from The Purl Bee.  According to the website, this project should take about 2 1/2 hours to make.  I'm so excited to make this!  They look so cozy and fluffy.



My first step is to choose the fabrics, and I'm going with two designs from Deb Strain's Grow With Me collection.  One of the designs I am using is brushed cotton.  Feels so nice!

Even though this is an easy project, there are a few things that will be new to me.  For one, I'll need to use a walking foot when I sew the three layers together.  I'll also need to look up what a blindstitch is, since that's what I'll be doing to close up the blanket.  Lastly, I'll have to figure out how to do a bar tacking stitch on my sewing machine.

Here we go!


2 comments:

  1. What is a lap duvet? I tried to figure it out by the link, but I'm left guessing: is it just a small(ish) blanket? Something like a couch throw?

    Anyway, I can't wait to see the finished product(s)! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A duvet is a type of bed covering, similar to a comforter, and is usually filled with down, making it fluffy. And cozy.

      A lap duvet would basically be a smaller version of the bed-size, so yes, you guessed right!

      I love duvets. One of my favorite things during the cold winter nights is getting cozy under a mountain of duvets. Ahh!

      Delete