Monday, March 11, 2013

Pretty Patches Placemats and Napkins, Day 3

This Daylights Saving thing is wreaking havoc on my internal clock.  (And by the way, does anything else other than havoc get wreaked?)  I mean, I'm enjoying the extra bit of sunshine, but my body doesn't know when to sleep or when to wake up.  I woke up at 3 o'clock this morning and couldn't go back to sleep for nearly four hours.  I did cut all my pieces yesterday, but I haven't felt like doing much sewing.

I was feeling really lazy so I just worked on the napkins.  It should have taken me about five minutes to sew up the four napkins, but I dragged it out over the entire day.  The pattern was one of the two standard napkin patterns I've seen/sewn before.  You basically match two pieces of square fabric, right/public sides together, sew around the perimeter, making sure to leave a small opening, turn inside out, and then sew around the perimeter again.

I try to get as close to the edge of fabric as possible, like 1/8", and the sewing goes along fine for the most part. The corners are kinda tricky, though, because I think the feed dogs don't have enough fabric to grab, and sometimes what ends up happening is that the needle stitches the same place several times.  You end up with a little wad of thread on the bottom side, which is a tad annoying.  What I end up doing is giving the fabric a little push and sewing one or two stitches at a time.

The Husband watched me as I made two of the napkins.  He asked what I was doing, and when I told him that I was making napkins, he said, "Those don't look like any napkins I've ever seen!"  This is because all the cloth napkins in the house are made using the other standard napkin pattern.  The one where you take one piece of fabric and either have a rolled edge hem or a double fold hem.  "They look like pillowcases without the filling!" said he.


I finished working on the pillowcases napkins and then started thinking about what I'd be working on tomorrow.  I'll be working with the 2 1/2" squares to make the patchwork border for the placemats.  The pattern says to match up the fabrics at random, but I think I'll do something else instead.

Tune in next time to see what I've come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment