Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Crinkle Quilt, Day 5

This is Day 5 of The Crinkle Quilt, but because I worked on the Pretty Patches Placemats and Napkins for three extra days, I didn't actually begin work on the The Crinkle Quilt until yesterday.  



First I chose which fabrics to work with.  There were 20 different designs in the fat quarter sampler, mainly in shades of green, blue, pink and grey.  I dropped the grey ones and also the three designs that would make up the focus fabric, the binding, and the backing.  I pressed the remaining 14 and then brushed up on my remedial math.

In front of you is a cut of fabric measuring 18"x22".  From this fabric you need to cut as many 5"x10" pieces as possible.  How many of these pieces can be cut?  How many pieces can be cut if you are on a train leaving Portland at 5AM and arriving at Sacramento at 935PM?  If a 12-car train heading in the opposite direction passes your train at high noon, would you be able to see Henry Fonda sitting on a horse through the windows of the last two cars?
Show your work, including a diagram.

No group work and no cheating!

Did I pass?

Someone needs to come up with a calculator that can figure this out automatically.  Something that compares the fabric amount you have to the fabric amount you want.  That way dumbelinas like me won't have to spend time and brain cells figuring out the best way to cut the fabric.  Until that time I guess I'll continue sketching diagrams on the back of candy wrappers.

Next, we chain stitch!

No comments:

Post a Comment