Saturday, March 9, 2013

Week 8: Pretty Patches Placemats and Napkins

I'm in a major stash-busting mood this week.  I need to work on a project that'll significantly reduce the amount of fabric I have.  This week I'll be working on one of the many kits I've purchased over the years, the Pretty Patches Placemats and Napkins kit from Connecting Threads.

Sip of Summer collection from
Connecting Threads

Kits are a great way to go if you're new to sewing.  Not only do you have all the fabric picked for you, saving you the stress of matching designs and colors, but they are precut to the amount that is needed, so once you finish the project, you don't have much leftover, if any.  Also, you have a pattern that you can reuse with other fabrics.

Pretty Patches Placemats and Napkins
from Connecting Threads

As you've probably noticed, I buy a lot of fabric from Connecting Threads.  I really like their designs, and their fabric is relatively inexpensive.  They have kits for every collection they come out with, and sometimes they give color options.  I probably purchased this kit two years ago, and it uses the Sip of Summer collection.  I chose the "Citrus" color option, and it's been so long since I bought it that I don't remember what the other color option was.

This kit will make four 14"x20" placemats and four 18" square napkins.  The sewing is pretty straightforward - no curving, notching, gathering, - so hopefully that'll mean no crying, yelling, or ripping (out my hair).  However, there's a lot of cutting.  There are a total of 20 different fabrics, and there are, at minimum, 56 cuts that I will need to make.  And that's if I layer the fabric before cutting it!  If I were to cut each of the 20 individual fabrics, that would be...well, if I think about it, then I'm back to crying, yelling and ripping again.

I'll be prewashing the fabric and then pressing before I start my cuts.  Let's cross our fingers that arms don't give.

No comments:

Post a Comment