Saturday, February 2, 2013

Simple Circles Table Runner Sew and Tell


The Simple Circles Table Runner is one of those projects that is more difficult than it looks, but once you finish it you feel proud of yourself.  For me, the most difficult part was sewing the circles, both the individual circles and also the stitching up of the final pattern.  I did get better with practice, though, and now that I've sewn circles, I feel more confident about sewing curves in any future projects.  I just need to remember what is key to sewing circles:  Pivot!  Pivot!!  PIVOT!!!

This is a project for an experienced sewer.  Not necessarily an intermediate or expert sewer, but maybe an adventurous beginner.  I would not recommend this as a first project though, because the curves might turn a brand-new sewer off.  For an experienced sewer this project should take a weekend to complete.

Next time I do this project I think that I'll sew up the openings, or snip them with pinking shears.  I'll most likely throw my runner into the washing machine, and I'm concerned that the openings will fray with the way they are left open with this first runner.

I'm a-frayed of what the washing machine
will do to the edges.
 
Also, I'd like to see if I can figure out how to keep the circles from curling after I topstitch them.  As it turns out, the layering helped to hide the curling, but I still know that they're there, and it'll just drive me nuts.

One of the things I liked best about this project was its originality.  I haven't seen a table runner done with circles before, and the more I look at my runner the more I like it and think how cute it is!  I think it would be fun to use bowl-sized or smaller circles with a baby blue fabric and make it look like tiny bubbles.  Mardi Gras is coming up, and it made me think of making this runner using purple, green and gold fabric, and then design it into a Mardi Gras beads pattern.

This runner would make a great gift, and if you use a different fabric collection for the backing, you can make it reversible.

The "Bonus" Table Runner for Mom.



No comments:

Post a Comment