Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Ready Set Serge Pillowcases, Day 5


When I asked The Husband what he thought of the new pillowcases, he said that he slept a lot better than he had with the other pillowcases.  You heard it here, first, folks!  My pillowcases will improve your sleep!


The pattern for the Stepped-Up Pillowcase is basically the same for the regular Pillowcase, except instead of a flat band there is a ruffled band with a rolled edge.  I decided to step it up a notch even further by making the main body a patchwork of several different pieces of fabric.  I'm using fat quarters from Connecting Threads' Bed and Breakfast collection.  Fat quarters are 1/4 of a yard of fabric, but instead of being cut to measure 9"x44", they are cut to measure 18"x22".


One of the other lessons I learned from the Simple Circles Table Runner was to prep only as much fabric as you think you need, or maybe just a touch over what you need.  With the table runner, I had pressed all the fabric from that collection, but didn't end up needing it all, so now I've got to fold them all back up and store them, and when the time comes to use them, I'll have to press them all over again.

After pressing and cutting each fat quarter in half, I matched the two halves and serged a 1/2" on the short end.  This process went quickly since I chain pieced the entire batch.  Chain piecing is when you have several pieces of fabric that you need to sew and you run them through the machine one right after the other without cutting the thread.  You then cut the threads in between the pieces after you run the last piece through.

Completed chain-pieced patches waiting to be cut.

Then we press the seams, and the next step will be to serge the long sides together.  Another chance to practice chain piecing!

No comments:

Post a Comment