Friday, February 8, 2013

When Sergers Attack

Sergeant Serger just tried to blind me.  There I was, running the last stitches for one of the pillowcases, when SNAP!  CRACK!  TINK!  I knew what that sound was, and before I could duck for cover, a piece of shrapnel hit me above the eye!  After I calmed down from the attack, I checked my serger and saw that one of the two needles had broken.  Sergers can run up to 1,700 stitches per minute, so that's quite a dangerous force behind those needles.  A good 3/4" missile had launched from the serger and was now somewhere floating around my house.  I tried looking for it as I was sitting down, but wasn't able to locate it.  I haven't looked in the mirror yet, so it is quite possible that the sharpened rocket is embedded in my forehead, but it's probably somewhere in the carpet, and with my luck I'll find it with my bare foot.  I had once considered wearing safety glasses when I was first told about needles breaking during sewing, but I didn't want to look like some poindexter while doing a supposedly safe hobby, but now, having had my life flash before my eyes (or was that the needle?), I'll reconsider!

No comments:

Post a Comment