Thursday, April 11, 2013

Lazy Days Skirt, Day 6

Now that the Biscuit Quilt is complete, I'm free to work on the Lazy Days Skirt.  I've stitched up the sides and made the waistband casing, so now it's time to run the elastic through.  You can use a safety pin to help the elastic along, or you can use a bodkin, which is what I will be doing.  The bodkin looks like a pair of tweezers but has a little ring to lock the ends down onto whatever you're pulling through the fabric.  It works really well, even with tight fitting casings like the one on this skirt.

I cut the elastic at 19.5", then overlapped the edges before sewing them together.  The directions say to sew a rectangle so that you catch both ends of the elastic, but it didn't say whether or not to secure the elastic to the skirt, so I just stitched it up apart from the fabric.


Hopefully that won't cause any issues, but I thought it might look odd if there was a small rectangle in the middle of the waistband.  I suppose it'd be covered by the gathered fabric anyway, but I WOULD KNOW THAT IT WAS THERE and it would bug me.

Now it's time to close up the waistband opening.


Voilà!

I did a some adjusting of the fabric around the elastic so that it's evenly distributed.  Can you believe this skirt is almost done?


The final step is the hem.  I didn't have any ribbon on hand so I made some bias tape instead.  I have two sizes of bias tape makers, a 1/2" and a 1".  I thought that it would be cute to have a thin trim on the bottom of the skirt, but 1/2" might have been a little hard to work with, so I went with the 1" instead.  Maybe I should pick up some other sizes.


Starting on the wrong/private side of the skirt, I  stitched the bias tape 1/2" from the edge of the hem.  Then I stitched up the ends of the tape, trimmed some of the skirt fabric, then flipped the tape to the public side before stitching down the edge.  Hurrah!  All done!

The illustration in the pattern looks like it has an additional line of topstitch, and since the hem looked incomplete to me for some reason with just the one line of stitching, I added the second line as well.


I liked the way it looked, but when The Husband saw it, he thought it was inside-out.  Oh well, can't please everyone.

And that's it!  All done!  Easiest skirt ever!





No comments:

Post a Comment