Monday, April 1, 2013

Biscuit Quilt, Day 3

Remember how just a few weeks ago I was raving about the warm weather we were having in the Bay Area?  Well, this last week has brought all sorts of inclement weather, including rain, winds, and quarter-sized hail, so I don't feel so weird working on another quilt.

When I first became interested in quilting, I came across a photo of a quilt that looked like little cotton balls huddled together.  I thought it was so cute!  I found out that these types of quilts are called puff quilts, also called biscuit quilts (since I'm such a foodie, I prefer to call them biscuit quilts.  Yummy!).  It took awhile to find out how to make them, especially a tutorial that was easy to follow.  This one from Buzzing and Bumbling has clear directions and lots of pictures, so I'm thinking that I'll do alright.

This type of quilt uses fiberfill instead of batting.  You can use fiberfill to stuff all sorts of things, like teddy bears and pillows.  I have two 32-oz bags of it.  I'm hoping that it'll be enough for a lap quilt.


To create the biscuits, you sew two pieces of fabric together and stuff the fiberfill inside.  The top piece will become the front of the quilt, and I'll use my Max and Whiskers layer cake for that.  The bottom piece is there just to create the biscuits, and will be hidden once the quilt backing is attached.  Here's where you take your least favorite fabric and use it for the bottom of the biscuits.  I'm going to use some fabric from the Aqua Terra collection.

The Max and Whiskers collection has some cat designs in it, so I won't be using those for this project.  I also took out the black layers, and I'm debating whether or not to take the brown layers out, too.  After taking all those layers out, I don't know if I'll have enough fabric to create the quilt backing, so I'll be using some of the fabric from the jelly roll I have.  A jelly roll is another type of precut fabric that measures 2 1/2" x 44".  It's called a jelly roll because they roll it up and the different fabric colors make it look like a jelly roll.  Yummy, am I right?

No comments:

Post a Comment