Friday, April 5, 2013

Biscuit Quilt, Day 6

I like the word "biscuit."  It makes me laugh.  I don't know how that started, maybe with Yosemite Sam's exclamation "My biscuits are burning!" and then there was that SNL skit with Beyonce where Justin Timberlake, et. al, claimed to be the "dance biscuits."  In any case, I giggle just a little whenever I see the word.


So with these fabric biscuits (tee hee), I've got my top square measuring 10".  The B&B tutorial says that the bottom square should be a 1/2" smaller, but can be up to 1" smaller.  I decided to test how much a difference that 1/2" would make to my biscuits.

On the left is a flat biscuit (chuckle) made with a 9 1/2" bottom square.  The biscuit (really, try saying it with a straight face - it's impossible!) on the right is made with a 9" bottom square.  Notice the difference in the size of those biscuits?  Now let's fill those biscuits up.

 
These biscuits have been stuffed with an equal amount of fiberfill.  The biscuit on the right turned out a little more poofy, and there is a difference in the size of the biscuits, but really, it's not that noticeable.  Since I already started started cutting the biscuit bottoms in a 9 1/2" size, I decided to stick with that.


In a nutshell, what you're doing to create these biscuits is matching up the corners of the top and bottom layers, and then making pleats with the "loose" fabric.  The directions have you sewing three of the sides, stuffing the biscuits and then using pins to secure the fourth pleat before sewing.  But I don't like pins, so instead I sewed the fourth side just far enough to create the pleat, then stuffed the biscuits.

 
After I filled out all but the brown biscuits, I did a mock-up quilt arrangement to see how it would look with and without the brown biscuits.

No brown biscuits here!

Since the quilt looked small without the additional five biscuits, and since the brown color didn't change the look too much, I went ahead and added the brown biscuits.

I think I have the word "biscuit" written 22 times in this post.  That's a lot of laughing!

No comments:

Post a Comment