Monday, April 8, 2013

Biscuit Quilt, Day 9

When you eat a box of chocolates, are you the type of person that throws the paper wrappers right away, or do you just leave them there and move on to the next chocolate?  I don't like all that trash lying around, so I throw it out right away.

Breakfast of Champions, er, Chocolates.

As I sat here staring at my still unfinished quilt and eating my box of chocolates, I realized that philosophy could be applied to sewing as well.  Even though I remind myself to trim loose threads, or pick up fabric scraps from the floor, or put away tools that I've finished using right away, I'm in such a rush to get to the next step, that I don't always take the time to take care of the small stuff.  When you do that with chocolates, you're not savoring the piece that you've just eaten; you're just thinking about the next chocolate.  So, starting right now, with my sewing, I'm going to do my best to take care of all those "paper wrappers," even those annoying little tasks that are so easy to ignore, but are still important to the whole sewing experience.

I guess Forrest Gump was right about life being like a box of chocolates.  If you don't clean up as you go, in the end you're left with a big box of trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment