Sunday, January 27, 2013

Simple Circles Table Runner, Day 2


Today I did a lot of prep work for the table runner.  First, I researched how to sew curves.  You would think that I would be able to find information on that in at least one of the dozens of sewing books that I have, but I didn't find anything there.  Luckily I came across a video on ProfessorPincushion.com on how to work with curves.  They make it look so easy, and I'm feeling less anxious about sewing curves now.  I have a feeling I'll be going to that website again in the future.


I also kept my eyes open for objects that could serve as templates.  Cups, plates and bowls were suggested on the pattern, but I wondered if there were more "fun" objects I could use.  Not that they'd make the template more fun, because how can you make a circle more fun than it is, but more for being able to give a back story to the table runner: "Don't you think my table runner is adorable?  I made it using the tire from a cat's tricycle!"  So far all I've come up with is a vase and my commemorative San Francisco Giants World Series Champions 2010 Coca-Cola can.

The other thing I did was to press my fabrics.  As you can imagine, sitting around for two+ years can make some major creases on stacked fabric, but luckily they weren't too difficult to press out.  


I was nearly finished with the entire stack when it occurred to me that I hadn't pre-washed this batch.  Argh.  I decided, though, that I didn't want to press them again and that I could live with the consequences of not pre-washing the lot.  Hopefully it won't make too much of a difference.  I will pre-wash the muslin, though, because that shrinks a lot.



No comments:

Post a Comment