Monday, January 28, 2013

Simple Circles Table Runner, Day 3

A layer cake is a set of fabric, normally of a fabric collection, with each fabric "layer" pre-cut to 10"x10".  Layer cakes from Moda usually have 42 swatches, although other fabric manufacturers' 10" pre-cuts may have a different quantity.  A fat eighth is a one-eighth yard of fabric that is cut to measure about 9"x22", instead of 4.5"x42".


The Simple Circles pattern calls for 20 squares from a layer cake, but since I am using a collection of fat eighths (and this collection has 36 swatches, with 15 duplicated prints), I'll have a lot of fabric left over after I trace my circles out.  That works out fine because that way I can make placemats that'll match my table runner!

For templates, I decided to forgo the vase and the San Francisco Giants World Series Champions 2010 soda can and went with a 9" low bowl, a cereal bowl, and Chad.  Chad is a coffee mug that I've had for over 20 years.  I got him at a gag gift store at a mall that doesn't exist anymore (Long live the Sunnyvale Town Center!).  The poor guy has a chip, has tea and coffee stains, and has weird fissures, but has been my companion through many a job positions.  Chad is awesome.


Using 15 pieces of the fat eighth cuts, I traced out 15 9" circles, five 5.5" circles, and six Chad-sized circles.

Next, we layer the materials!



No comments:

Post a Comment