Saturday, January 26, 2013

Lap Duvet Sew and Tell




For my "Sew and Tell" posts I'll basically review how my project went for that week.  I'll talk about what worked, what things I'd change, things I'd learned, what I liked, etc.



The Lap Duvet was a fun and simple project, perfect if you are a beginning sewer or quilter.  I spread my work out over several days, but this could easily be done in one afternoon.  It would make a great gift (I already have plans to make a matching set for a newlywed couple I know), and you can customize the fabric for each recipient.

Next time, I'll definitely go with the larger size batting, and when I've reduced my stash enough I'll try wool batting to see how that compares to the Hobbs Poly Down Batting I used.  I prewash most of my fabrics, but I'd like to see what effect there'd be to the quilting if I didn't prewash.  I'll try that next time, too.

This was the first time ever that I had used my walking foot.  I wasn't able to tell any difference with the end product, but I imagine I'll be grateful for having it with future projects.

I also made a bar tacking stitch for the first time.  I imagine I'll use it again with future quilting projects.  I'll have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't unravel.

And finally, I learned what a blindstitch is.  Pretty easy stitch, and can be used to handstitch many different items.  In fact, I was able to finish up a UFO (UnFinished Object) that I have had for years.  YEARS.  And you'll laugh when you see what it is.  Just a little bag that I made during a class I took at the LYS/LFS (Local Yarn Shop/Local Fabric Shop), Bobbin's Nest Studio.  I had forced myself to take a class to learn how to sew with zippers, one of my sewing fears, and hadn't been able to finish this bag because I still needed to stitch up the liner.  Finally, it's complete!



Finally done!



This will probably end up being one of my favorite projects.  And another plus - it'll use up a lot of my stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment